Thursday 27 April 2017

Moranifesto by Caitlin Moran.

Caitlin Moran is a columnist with The Times newspaper and this book explains her view of the world. Moranifesto is her political and social analysis of how things could change, if bit by bit everyone altered one little bit.

I enjoyed reading Moranifesto in the same way I enjoy watching a stand up comedian on television. Catlin starts off each chapter in italics, to denote the new content which then leads into a previously published newspaper column she had written. The next chapter continues at a tangent with another introduction in italics and a republished newspaper column. I loved the flow throughout her book and it felt more like a concert than a book. Caitlin discusses many topical issues with a left wing bias that I agree with. I like her writing style which makes for easy reading. She uses a very extensive vocabulary and is not dumbing down our language. Her newspaper columns are very polished and top quality. Caitlin also has a nice humour which makes her writing witty, for example when she explains the joys of having a boyfriend who has access to a car…

I can remember the drunken conversation I had with my friend Sian. Opening a bottle of Baileys, exclaiming, ‘Oh, my God - he took me up the Big Sainsbury’s!’ Then explaining that wasn’t a euphemism, and pointing at all the heavy, jumbo-sized tins I’d been able to buy - because I didn’t have to drag them back on the bus.

... Caitlin writes about many popular topics and I agree with most of her opinions. It was refreshing to read about a woman who likes to wear sensible shoes and outdoor gear. It was nice she highlighted those feminist issues men are ignorant of - me included.

I liked the way that Moranifesto developed, it was almost like having a series of dates with Caitlin because through her newspaper columns, her personality shined and you began to understand the woman behind those opinions. The ending of Moranifesto was very good indeed and would warm the most cynical of hearts. Books and newspaper columns are very different markets but Moranifesto is a good bridge between the two media. I think this is a GOOD read that will entertain the reader and was a refreshing change from my usual diet of crime thrillers, so it gets 4 stars from me.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher Penguin Random House UK and Ebury Press for giving me a copy of this book on the understanding that I provide an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment