Wednesday 21 March 2018

The Drowned Girls (Angie Pallorino, #1) by Loreth Anne White.

Follow Detective Angie Pallorino of the RCMP as she is on the trail of a violent rapist and killer.

The Drowned Girls is a well put together crime thriller where the central character is Detective Angie Pallorino. Many other police officers take a large role in this story and their characters shine through. But Angie is the star and her job and life is not made easy by many, many things.

The character development of Angie is superb. She is a full on woman, working hard in a man’s world. Angie has a mysterious backstory which unfolds throughout the book. She is not a nun and does enjoy an exciting sex life.

The plot of the story is very good and the backstory of the victims is brilliant. We not only have murder but violent rape, rough sex and the horrors of FGM.

As usual Loreth puts a dog into her story. This time the featured dog is a 3 legged Jack Russell, which brought back memories of my pet Barney who died when he was 13.

I liked how characters were put up that raised your suspicions that they were the bad guy committing these crimes. I also liked how the bad guy had chapter’s written from their point of view.

This is the 4th Loreth Anne White novel I have read on the trot. I like how it has echoes of her other books. There are the problems of memories, problems when sex goes wrong, scenes involving wandering about with hand held torches, trekking through the wilderness and lots of adverse weather.

I like how yet again some romance was woven into the plot. This time it was rather sexed up but did not make me feel uncomfortable, just “rather them than me”!

I found The Drowned Girls to be an outstanding read, all the little bits added up together to bring me just what I want from my leisure time reading. There are even little bits of subtle humour woven into the story, for example: the public house were police officers meet after work is called The Flying Pig. So, there you have it, another 5 star read from Loreth.

The Drowned Girls was published in 2017 and is available as an Amazon Kindle eBook.

No comments:

Post a Comment