Saturday 17 July 2021

The Stranger Next Door by Adam Southward.

Matthew, his wife Imogen and their daughter Ashley move from London to a house along New Church Road in Albury, a village near Guildford in Surrey. How will they adapt to village life compared to busy but anonymous life in London? How will they get along with their new neighbours? Follow this family as they deal with village life in this psychological thriller.


I liked the short chapters with their point of view from either Matthew, Imogen or their new neighbour Nancy. Sadly, these 3 main characters were not people you would want as a friend. Matthew was sneaky, Imogen is a nagging wife who is always spending money and Nancy simply gives me the creeps.


Sadly the warning flags in this psychological thriller are flown very early on. I guessed the plot very quickly and each hint confirmed my suspicions, one after the other.


I was pleased to read that I am not married to a woman like Imogen. Not only her rampant consumerism but the constant job allocation for Matthew to complete was wearing me down! Imogen even has the gall, in her own words “Or I could push, nag, dig until I revealed every little detail”.


Matthew for all his faults, does however offer to buy strangers a drink if he wants to talk to them. Simon turned down a beer in a near-by pub and had a soft drink but Chris not only had more than one coffee but had some cake too! That made me smile, the thought of a stranger buying me a beer “for a chat” - what do you want to know?


The Stranger Next Door rumbled along with no real surprises for me. I found it to be a comfortable, 3 star OKAY read that filled a hole, very much like eating toast before leaving for work in the morning. There is a lovely acknowledgement at the end when Adam, who wrote this novel during the Covid-19 lockdown, declares “And the final thank you is to you, the wonderful readers, tweeters, bloggers and reviewers, who take the time to remind everyone that the comfort of fiction is a constant, no matter what the world is doing.”


Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher Headline Accent for giving me an ARC on the understanding that I publish a review.


The Stranger Next Door is available as an Amazon Kindle eBook and was written in 2021.

No comments:

Post a Comment