Tuesday 16 September 2014

Kimmie and Me by Cherie Mitchell.

This is a true story set in Australia about a greyhound called Kimmie. Cherie Mitchell took Kimmie for fostering from the Greyhound Adoption Programme. This is not a cute picture book but a warts and all tale of fostering an adult dog.

I really enjoyed reading this book, the quality of writing is very high. Cherie takes the reader into her home and life as she adjusts to the new addition to her family. The relationship builds between Cherie and Kimmie, which makes for a lovely reading experience. Cherie includes all the dog habits displayed by Kimmie and many other breeds of dog. She explains the ups and downs of living with a Greyhound. Cherie goes into all the little details that make having a dog so much fun and very rewarding. For all the detail that Cherie provides as the days and weeks roll by, she does not repeat herself and pad out her book with variations of the same.

I do not have a Greyhound but our friends have and all the things Cherie has gone through are the same for them. This is not a picture book but you get such a strong impression of Kimmie from the sheer quality of Cherie's writing, that I can imagine her in my mind's eye.

This is a wonderful book that I loved from start to finish. I think that all dog owners will love this book. If you have never owned a dog, then after reading this book I am sure that you will understand the love and loyalty that an owner shares with their dog forever. Although this is a personal story, the writing is so good I am sure that Cherie could become a full time author. This is one of the best books I have read for a while, the structure and editing are spot on. The writing is top notch and I will vote it the top score of 5 stars. Her use of language is great and Cherie has introduced me to a new word. Whenever I walk my dog, he likes to have a good old sniff to check where other dogs have been. I did not have a word to describe this activity but Cherie has, your pet is simply checking - weemails - think about it!

Kimmie and Me is available as an Amazon Kindle eBook and was written in 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment