Saturday 29 November 2014

Autism - A Practical Guide for Parents by Alan Yau.

Alan Yau has worked as a teacher and has been involved in helping children with autism spectrum disorder for 20 years. In this book he offers advice to parents so that they can help their child.

Before reading this book, I knew nothing about autism. Boys are 4 times more likely to have autism than girls. About 1 in 88 children in America are now identified as having autism. People with autism have difficulties in three areas, known as "the triad of impairments": social interaction, social communication and rigidity in thinking. There is currently no cure for autism - and many individuals would argue that they don't need to be cured.

I found this book a wonderful eye opener. It let's you into the mind of the child with autism, so that you can experience the world from their point of view. Alan has written a great book that is very easy to understand. He appears to be a great teacher and really knows how peoples' minds actually work, whether the person has autism or not. This book is a great mixture of theory, problem solving and case studies. Because each aspect of autism covered ends with a case study, you really understand how peoples' brains are wired and how they feel. I found the mindset of autism so very easy to relate to.

I am not the parent of a child with autism but my day job is a coach driver for National Express. Passengers with autism do not wear a badge to alert the driver but can have a distressing journey because of the ways our industry works and how frequently things change. Reading this book has really helped me to understand the mindset of passengers who I will unknowingly meet every working day.

I really enjoyed reading this book and Alan is clearly an expert in his field. His talents as an author are great, the structure of this guide is spot on and he explains everything really well, so it does not matter if you knew nothing about autism beforehand. I can find nothing wrong with this book and I learned a great deal. I found this guide a very good read and it get's the top score of 5 stars from me.

Autism is available as an Amazon Kindle eBook and was written in 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment