Sunday 24 January 2016

The Promise by Alison Bruce.

This is the latest and number six in the DC Gary Goodhew mysteries set in Cambridge. I have NOT read any of the earlier five books in the series but I used to travel through and stay overnight in Cambridge in the 1980’s. Reading this book brought my memories of Cambridge flooding back to me. Parkside, with it’s Police Station where DC Gary Goodhew is stationed and where National Express coaches stop. Tenison Road, close to the train station where I stayed overnight. Even Newmarket Road on the drive out to other destinations in Norfolk.

Alison does a good job at clearly describing Cambridge with lots of detail to put you on the spot. I like how she sets the scene as she moves around the city and even travels up to Ely.

Each book in the series is a standalone novel. The Promise is about a murder and the mysteries behind it. I found the plot of this novel POOR. I found the character development to be patchy with it’s buzz of characters like on the successful television series called The Bill. There is not a strong lead character in this story and I did not develop an empathy for DC Gary Goodhew. I thought this book lacked attitude and sharpness, giving me a second rate reading experience. The story just mulled along and was about as exciting as a petty criminal breaking into garden sheds. There was no brightness to this story and no humour or witty dialogue. I thought this book rather dull and was surprised that it is the sixth DC Gary Goodhew novel. This story seemed so weak to me with nothing to excite or surprise me. Nothing was unusual or special and only at the end did you find out why this book was titled The Promise.

This book was a disappointment for me and as far as Police novels and mysteries go, I would suggest a MISS. Because Alison writes so well about the area, I will vote her book 2 stars rather than 1 star. I know Alison has a lot of fans but this story did NOT grip me in any way. I just felt so let down by this POOR read. I do enjoy reading British Police crime thriller series and the Jack Caffery books from Mo Hayder are in the top league and give me just what I want from a book.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher Little Brown Book for giving me a copy of this book on the understanding that I provide an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment