Friday 16 September 2016

Sleeping Dogs (DI Spicer Book 7) by Chris Simms.

Sleeping Dogs is not your usual crime thriller and this time the investigation is about DI Jon Spicer’s family, in the broader sense. Although this is the 7th book in the series, it can be read as a stand-alone. This novel focuses on dogs and also takes DI Jon Spicer, in his own free time, on an adventure in rural Ireland.

This book is different and covers a lot of ground. Fans of crime thrillers should enjoy it because of the plot and the strong characterisation. Dog lovers should also enjoy it because it is so in tune with the emotions you get from owning a dog. If like me you have a dog and day dream about crime thrillers whilst walking your pet, then Sleeping Dogs is right up your street.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading Sleeping Dogs and I thought the balance of characters, dogs, family, plot and rural Ireland was right. I liked the research Chris did for his book and the use of a rare-breed dog that I have never heard of but is very real.

I found Sleeping Dogs a very entertaining read and Chris is on top form. This book was very engaging and with Chris’s use of local spoken English in rural Ireland - the dialogue made it so real - because that is how people speak and made this book a delight to read. Sleeping Dogs is a very good book and I vote it the top score of 5 stars. The epilogue has a good, tail wagging ending and I also liked the section “The ideas behind the story”.

Sleeping Dogs is available as an Amazon Kindle eBook and was written in 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment