Tuesday 15 November 2016

Dark Water by Robert Bryndza.

A body is found in dark water at Hayes Quarry on the outskirts of London. DCI Erika Foster wants to investigate in this 3rd book of the series.

I have not read a Robert Bryndza novel before and this novel can be read as a stand-alone. It got my attention straight away and I thought how can Erika solve a case with so very little to go on? I liked how the reader was learning all about the area etc at the same pace as Erika and her team. Robert told his story in such a way that I felt I was part of the team in the incident room. What was nice was that as the story unfolds, I felt that the case could not be solved because of the lack of evidence and the fact the body was dumped 26 years ago. How could anyone solve a case so old? But Erika was determined that she could solve the case.

The plot was very good and the pace spot on. What I really liked was the balance of the story. I felt as though I was living and working alongside the detectives. It has a lovely mix of working and personal life with wonderful characterisation. It nicely played on popular ignorance and prejudices. There was also some well placed workplace humour which further added to your feeling of being there.

Dark Water is a powerful and emotional story. I found it a very rewarding read and between reading sessions I would think about the characters as though it was a true life breaking news story. This book delivers on my appetite for a gritty and entertaining read. I was impressed by the quality of writing and the research that had gone into this novel to make it so realistic.

I can find nothing wrong with Dark Water and it’s content fulfilled my desire for a good read from my drug of choice. Dark Water gets the top score of 5 stars from me and I shall be very happy to read the other books in the series.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher Bookouture for giving me a copy of this book on the understanding that I provide an honest review.


Dark Water is available as an Amazon Kindle eBook and was written in 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment