Tuesday 10 October 2017

Broken Harbour (Dublin Murder Squad, #4) by Tana French.

Follow Detective Mike "Scorcher" Kennedy as he investigates a crime scene where 2 children have been killed, their father fatally stabbed and their mother sent to hospital with extensive stab wounds.

This is the fourth Dublin Murder Squad novel from Tana and it follows her usual style. Each novel has a new lead character, is written in the first person, has a good balance of work and private life, is realistic, has plenty of background and can be read as a stand-alone.

I really enjoyed reading Broken Harbour. I liked how Tana described the feel and character of new housing estates. I liked how Scorcher was able to build his case given the police had very little to go on. It was entertaining how Scorcher and his rookie partner Richie Curran explored all the possibilities. It was good how their working relationship developed.

As the story rolled on I kept trying to work out how and why the murders had happened. It was quite creepy in places and I really engaged with the story. The plot was good and had plenty of things to make you wonder.

What I liked most about Broken Harbour was the effect it had on me when I got to the end. I felt such a buzz thinking if only he or she had done or said this or that, then Scorcher would never have been able to catch the killer, no matter how many resources the police ploughed into the case.

The fact that this novel is set in Ireland is coincidental as this scenario could so easily have happened at any new-build housing estate in the world. I am a fan of new-build houses and after reading Broken Harbour will always wonder about squirrels as I stroll around with my dog.

So Tana has done it again and Broken Harbour is another book from her that gets the top score of 5 stars from me.

Broken Harbour was written in 2012 and is available as an Amazon Kindle eBook.

No comments:

Post a Comment