Friday 22 December 2017

Only Time Will Tell (The Clifton Chronicles, #1) by Jeffrey Archer.

Let’s go back in time for this family drama set mostly in Bristol from 1919 to 1940. The central character is Harry Clifton, hence the title and not to be confused with the district in Bristol of the same name. Harry Clifton was born in 1920 and this book tells of his young life until he was 20.

I found Only Time Will Tell to be an okay read. It brought back many memories of Bristol, as I had lived there for 20 years. I liked the many mentions of places and roads that I remember. Even my old school of Merrywood was featured and as we lived in the district of Bedminster, Harry’s home in Stillhouse Lane really rang a bell with me. A quick check on streetmap.co.uk brought it all back to life!

The structure of Only Time Will Tell is very different from other novels. It starts with a prelude from the point of view of Maisie Clifton, Harry’s mother. Then you have Harry’s tale from 1920 to 1933, followed by chapters featuring other characters who are involved in Harry’s life. There are further updates from Harry and the other characters until Harry’s section finishes in 1940.

I liked how the other characters filled into the story all the bits that Harry was blissfully unaware of. This way the story built up depth and all those little bits fitted together to give the reader a complete tale. Lots of characters told porkies along the way and I was on my guard from early on that what they said could not be taken as gospel.

I found this novel a comfortable read. It was not spectacular but plodded along in a pleasant way. It was easy reading and told in a nice mature way. Nothing shined about this novel but it was convenient as my daily read and his writing is quality. So this quality writing without a WOW! Factor is an okay 3 star read for me.

Only Time Will Tell was published in 2011 and is available as an Amazon Kindle eBook.

No comments:

Post a Comment