Tuesday 3 April 2018

Creep by R.M. Greenaway.

This is the third B.C. Blues crime novel featuring career cops Cal Dion and David Leith. It can be read as a standalone.


Creep is an odd mix of a novel. There is regular police procedurals and strong characterization of Cal Dion and David Leith. But we do not have a simple murder, as there are some accidents plus supernatural elements surrounding Halloween. Putting all these factors into this story, made it rather a muddle.


I did like the workplace humour and found it spot on, making me chuckle often. This humour is very similar to and of the same high quality as Collateral, a four-part British television drama serial, written and created by David Hare, and directed by S. J. Clarkson. It first broadcast on BBC Two on February 12, 2018.


I really enjoyed her two previous novels Cold Girl and Undertow, voting them both the top scores of 5 stars. However, I found Creep to be very disappointing with the plot. I thought the references to Halloween were childish. There was nothing outstanding about the bad guy, the nature of the offences or the detective skills of Cal Dion and David Leith. This novel is still an okay, 3 star read because it was brightened up by two wonderful and charismatic women, Farah Jordan and Jackie Randall.


There was a kind of surprise in the acknowledgements at the end of this book. It then made sense of why I feel like I do about this novel. I feel that Creep has weakened her brand and that she would have been better off releasing this book under another name and replacing Cal Dion and David Leith with new names.


Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher Dundurn for giving me a copy of this book on the understanding that I provide an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment