Saturday 25 August 2018

Black Canyon by Jeremy Bates.

Brian is 11 years old and goes camping with his parents to visit the Black Canyon within the Gunnison National Park in Colorado. This novella tells the story of how Brian got along on this lovely trip with his mam and dad.

I really enjoyed reading the Black Canyon, which is odd because it is narrated in the first person by Brian who is only 11 years old. But this novella is told in a very adult fashion. Jeremy Bates is rather clever because he starts his novella from the viewpoint of Brian looking back on his family camping trip in Colorado. This allows Jeremy the scope to write Brian’s story in a very adult way, using the understanding of our world and an extensive vocabulary that an 11 year old would not be able to deliver. Nice one Jeremy, which means we can get a child’s story without it being childish, sugary sweet or Disney-like.

There is some lovely subtle humour in this novella, for example…

My mom kept calling one of the women she worked with a skank. I wondered if maybe she meant “skunk.” Sometimes when she was drinking she didn’t always pronounce her words correctly.

… So we have a nice camping trip with mam and dad. What could go wrong? Slowly doubts are thrown into the story and you begin to wonder how 11 year old Brian is enjoying his trip with mam and dad. Then little doubts develop about Brian’s personality and his relationships with people around him. I loved how Jeremy weaved these little doubts into the story which made me suspect what may happen. I thought it was great how Brian explained in his own words just why things had worked out the way they had.

I am NOT a fan of novellas as I prefer a BIG read that can last me for days on end. That way I really get into a story, live the book and type up a review during my weekly rest period. However, the Black Canyon is an EXCEPTION. I thought this novella was BRILLIANT and the plot was very well thought out indeed. I loved this book and it was simply a joy to read. Well done Jeremy, you have written a wonderful novella with no boring bits or padding out of the tale. I think the length of this story is spot on and what is nice is that the location, although real, is not the key, it is the event of a family camping trip. Although the Black Canyon is a SHORT read, it certainly packs a punch and I can find nothing wrong with it, so it gets the top score of 5 stars from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment