Monday 15 June 2020

Left For Dead by Caroline Mitchell.

This is the third book in the DI Amy Winter series but it can be read as a stand-alone. It is set around London and Essex. DI Amy Winter stumbles across a stunning shop window display featuring a very lifelike mannequin. Then Amy spots blood dripping from it’s mouth. Get ready for another British crime thriller from Caroline Mitchell.

I thought Left For Dead got off to a very exciting start as the posing of the victim was unusual. I liked how there were chapters devoted to the point of view of the bad guy. The moods the bad guy shared with the reader were creepy and very dark. I still can’t get that song out of my head, Push the Button by the Sugababes.

I liked once again how Caroline captured the cultures within the police service, the interview techniques they use and the regulations they must consider like RIPA - Regulation of Investigatory Powers. Once again mention was made of Amy’s pet, Dotty the Pug. 

Sadly Left For Dead follows the format of the second DI Amy Winter book, The Secret Child by switching backwards and forwards in time, letting the reader know a lot more than DI Amy Winter and her team. Yet again the story is bulked out by the appeal of Amy’s birth mother Lillian Grimes. This drags the story down and makes it become a soap opera. I found Left For Dead not as good as her previous books and simply a run of the mill crime drama. From an amazing start Left For Dead became an OKAY read, which I did not enjoy as much as her other books, so it gets a middle score of 3 stars from me.


Thanks to NetGalley and Amazon Publishing UK for giving me a copy of this book on the understanding that I provide an honest review.


Left For Dead is available as an Amazon Kindle eBook and was written in 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment