Sunday 12 July 2020

Missing in Wales/Silent Cry by Jenny O’Brien.

Izzy Grant and her boyfriend Charlie Dawson are the proud parents of their newborn baby Alys. To give Izzy a break, Charlie takes their daughter out on his own, only they do not return home. A search is started but Alys and Charlie are simply Missing in Wales.


This novel is a mystery approached from two viewpoints. Izzy tries all avenues available to her as an average member of the public to find Alys and Charlie. For the officers of Dyfed-Powys Police in Pembrokeshire, this is your usual missing person enquiry.


I really enjoyed reading Missing in Wales and loved the short chapters from Izzy or Detective Constable Gaby Darin. There were many leads to explore and many questions to ask. As the years passed neither the amateur mother or the professional police were able to solve the mystery of what happened to Alys and Charlie. From the many clues the reader will make their own mind as to what happened to a father and his daughter. This mystery made for a very entertaining read. The pace was steady and the doubts were plenty.


Character development was fine but it was the plot that set this book apart from your regular police procedural. When I got to page 159 which is 62% through this book, I had a light bulb moment and I thought I knew what had happened. But this did NOT spoil my enjoyment of this book because further doubts were put in my way to make my hunch NOT a certainty.


I think Missing in Wales is a great mystery that ticked all the boxes, so it gets the top score of 5 stars from me.

Missing in Wales is available as an Amazon Kindle eBook and was written in 2019 but republished in 2020 as Silent Cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment