Monday 7 September 2020

The Beautiful Cure by Daniel M. Davis

 The Beautiful Cure explains all the research that has been done so that the reader can understand how the human immune system works. Daniel M. Davis is Professor of Immunology at the University of Manchester, so it is great to get accurate information rather than old wives tales.


I found this to be a very informative and interesting book. It covered in tremendous detail how the immune system works and also how scientists work with all their conflicts, so bad that many can’t stand to be in the same room together.


Daniel leads the reader steadily through the research undertaken through the years in a delicate way so that you learn in a similar way to the scientists of the day. This was a great way for Daniel to write his book because it is accessible to everyone. You do not need to be a medical or scientific person to enjoy and understand this book. I left school at 16 and have nothing to do with health or science. My usual reading genre is crime/mystery/thriller. So why did I buy this book? Okay, it was featured on the Kindle Daily Deal, reduced from £4.99p down to just 99p. With the current coronavirus pandemic I wondered how the human immune system actually worked, having heard so much about herd immunity.


This book blew me away, really firing my imagination. I eat, drink and walk around totally unaware of the internal universe inside my body. Daniel explained all about the many different cells, triggers and balances and how they deal with disease, germs and viruses. The human immune system is complex and even leading edge science does NOT understand it all. But just knowing a little blows your mind away. How can such a powerful immune system happen when we were conceived from 2 microscopic organisms? An immune system that runs like a very powerful computer network. An immune system that works in the background with the person unaware of the changes taking place within their cells.


I liked how Daniel explained the differences between innate and adaptive immunity. I also liked learning about different cells, the genes within them and how immune responses were turned on and off. The Beautiful Cure is a very thought provoking book that I wish some of my germophobic workmates would read. There was lovely discussion of things that readers can do which will increase or reduce their immune system.


I thoroughly enjoyed reading The Beautiful Cure and took a lot away from this book. Daniel does not shy away from the realities of laboratory research. He was very frank and open about the HUGE number of mice bred and killed so that we can understand how biology works. I found this an OUTSTANDING book, so it gets 5 stars from me.


The Beautiful Cure was written in 2018 and is available as an Amazon Kindle eBook.

No comments:

Post a Comment