Saturday 9 January 2021

Bitter Falls (Stillhouse Lake #4) by Rachel Caine.

 Follow Gwen Proctor who is now working as a Private Investigator as she tries to trace Remy Landry, who disappeared into thin air three years ago.


Bitter Falls is the fourth book in the Stillhouse Lake series but can be read as a standalone. I think it is best that you start reading the books in order from book one. It is nice that Rachel does not labour the back story in each book, which would bulk out the story and bore returning readers.


I live in the UK and was shocked to read about the Active Shooter Drills in American schools. Fire drills are an accepted procedure all around the world and for good reason but Active Shooter Drills are scary.


I loved how the writing followed the format of books two and three where-by each chapter is from either Gwen, Sam, Connor or Lanny and are told in the first person with a linear time frame.


I also liked the humour that involved Sam…


I would,” I admit. “But given the circumstances with Lanny...maybe I’d better just go for cleaning the toilets. Option B.”

“You ever seen what these toilets look like? I get hill people and truckers in here. None of them have good aim off the range. But sure. Your choice.”


...not forgetting Sam’s lovely quip “You’re ISIS with a Bible”.


I did enjoy reading about how religious fundamentalists operate because America has quite a history of cults.


I found it funny when Gwen said to Vera “I promise you, if you ever need me, all you have to do is call.” because Gwen very frequently buys yet another burner phone with a new number. I am sure Gwen buys more burner phones than Al-Qaeda. I was however surprised to discover the location of Vera’s secret little hiding place, revealed on page 288.


I enjoyed reading Bitter Falls and find that Rachel is consistent in her writing quality. I think Bitter Falls is a GOOD read and gets 4 stars from me, which is the same as the other books in this series.


Bitter Falls is available as an Amazon Kindle eBook and was written in 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment