Sunday 28 February 2021

Fake Accounts by Lauren Oyler.

This debut novel is a first person narrative of a young New York woman who grabs her boyfriend’s phone to discover he is an anonymous conspiracy theorist. Felix has never told her about his hobby, wanting to keep it secret. Follow her as she explores the issues of online lies and fake identities.


I did not like Lauren’s writing style, it rambled on and appeared to have no structure. Her story lacked focus and there was very little plot. Lots of characters popped into the story but character development was poor. There were no real surprises and the ending was a let down.


Lauren explored at great length the restrictions imposed by social media on the online character, identity and truth of posts. But this discussion on the scope of fake accounts on social media could be covered far quicker and better by reading a newspaper feature article.


I got very little pleasure from reading Fake Accounts and found it quite boring and uninspiring. It was a book that was very easy to put down and quite frankly, if ALL books were of this low quality, I would give up reading books as a hobby and move onto something else.


I am very surprised that a major publisher took a chance with this debut novel. I think Fake Accounts is a book to AVOID, so I vote it the lowest score of 1 star. The irony is that the best quote I can offer from this book also sums it up so well…


Keep in mind, too, that once you get with someone it’s easier to stay with them than to leave them, and that once you dedicate a certain amount of time and effort to a relationship or hobby or whatever, it feels as if that amount of time will have been wasted if you stop.


…Which is why I read this book to the very end. Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher 4th Estate/William Collins for giving me an ARC on the understanding that I write a review.


Fake Accounts was written in 2021 and is available as an Amazon Kindle eBook.

No comments:

Post a Comment