Thursday 21 November 2013

All In My Head by Troy Sheppard.

All In My Head is a semi-autobiographical novella of 226 KB that was written in 2012. Meet Josh, a 23 year old drug addict living in America. This is his tale of slipping into drug addiction and losing everything. Follow the tale as Josh goes to rock bottom.

This novella is one very powerful story which grips at the heart of drug dependancy. Troy, from his own experience, explains to the reader what the life of a junky is like. This is not a glamourous tale but a gritty reality of a tragic life.

Josh explains to the reader why he took drugs and how he became addicted. His first person narrative is very compelling and I learned so much from this short novel. I have never taken drugs and found this story amazing. Josh tells you what goes on inside the head of a junky, the intense feeeling of a hit and the overwhelming desire to score another hit. There is nothing more important to the junky than obtaining the next hit.

Troy, within those 226 KB of text has managed to give me, a non-drug user, the full experience from the safety of my armchair, of the highs and lows of a junky. He talks in language that non-drug users can understand. This other world is explained because we all get feelings of hunger and know what it is like in that search for the next meal. We understand how powerful our everyday hunger pangs are to our mood, motivation and stomach. We also know the instant good buzz feeling when we drink a beer and how much we will love another one.

It is an experience to read All In My Head because the narrative is so powerful and the learning curve so steep. It is a roller coaster ride as you start to understand the mental turmoil inside the head of a junky. I am truly glad that I have downloaded this Amazon Kindle eBook because it is such an eye opener and I have learned so much about desire. I can find nothing wrong with this novella and I vote it the top score of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment