Wednesday 24 December 2014

The Essene Conspiracy by S. Eric Wachtel.

This novel is set in 1991 and involves a plot by a secret Jewish religious group to further their cause. Conspiracies are my favourite book genre and this novel will be popular with fans of Dan Brown. It has religion, some symbolism, a rich historical detail and a race against time to save the day.

The author goes into great detail about Jewish culture and heritage so that the reader can understand the passion held by these Orthodox Jewish fanatics. You can enter their world and learn how their beliefs differ from those of other Jews living in Israel.

The plot rolls along at a good pace as little bits add up giving you a realistic scenario. As an Atheist, I found the religious parts of this novel very funny! I do not think this was the author’s intention but it did give me a lot of reading pleasure.

As conspiracy novels go, this novel is quite run of the mill. What is different is the amount of culture involved and the historical context. We all have our views on the Six Day War but the author weaves this history very cleverly into his story.

The ending of this book is very average but the political context is very good. The thoughts of any religious fanatics pursuing their own agenda and treating life so cheap and disposable is very creepy indeed. I enjoyed reading The Essene Conspiracy a great deal, it is not the most original of novels but it does the job. It taught me a lot about Jewish culture that I was ignorant of before reading this story and I view this book as a good read that I will vote 4 stars.

The Essene Conspiracy is available as an Amazon Kindle eBook and was written in 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment