Tuesday 2 June 2015

The Koran (Al-Qur’an) translated from the Arabic by the Rev. J.M. Rodwell with an introduction by the Rev. G. Margoliouth.

This book has a lovely introduction and preface to this translation of the Koran. It puts the reader in the right frame of mind to enjoy this epic work in context. Each Sura is translated and has numbered footnotes that expertly explain the context and technicalities involved.

I found the Koran a great challenge to read. It is not easy reading and I dipped into it over a period of four years. I found the footnotes a great help in understanding the context and to stop any easy misunderstandings. For example on the last Sura V.? The Table [CXIV.] …

O believers! surely wine and games of chance, 34 and statues, and the divining arrows, are an abomination of Satan’s work! Avoid them, that ye may prosper.

... Okay, I do enjoy a beer, which is a type of alcohol and I understand that strict Muslims shy away from all alcohol. I do not gamble because the maths prove that the gambler will ALWAYS lose, so that is an obvious belief to hold. What I was surprised at was footnote 34 which informed the reader…

Tradition has expanded the word ansab, so as to include all figures, and hence the strict observers of the letter of the Koran forbid the game of chess. The Persians, however, and Indians generally interpret this verse more liberally.

… So that is the beauty of this book, it puts the Koran in it’s historical context. It is not an easy read and I think that Rodwell and Margoliouth have done a very good job in making this work available to readers who are ignorant of Arabic but are able to read this classic text in English. It gave me the ability to understand the Koran and form my own view of it’s value to society. I learned a lot about Islam and what the Koran means to Muslims. I feel enlightened having read this book and the secrets surrounding the Koran have been shared with me. I now know what Muslims believe rather than the sound bites propagated by commentators in popular media.

Rodwell and Margoliouth have done a good job in making the Koran accessible to English readers. For that I am truly grateful and I will give their work the top score of 5 stars. What is very nice is that they allow the reader to form their own opinion about the Koran and Islam. Here is a translation and interpretation of the Koran, read it and then make your informed opinion.

Peace be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment