Sunday 13 December 2015

Down Came November by Lisa V. Proulx.

This is the memoir of Elizabeth Frost and it is the tale of a woman’s love and loneliness between 1979 and 2006. It explores the love shared with her two live-in lovers, her mother and Kurgan, her Rottweiler pet dog.

I found this book an intense read, with a closeness you get with best friends. I developed an empathy for Elizabeth very quickly as she described fully her feelings towards men. It enabled me to get into the mind of this woman as she fell into and out of love with the two men in her life. It was a rollercoaster ride for her as she stumbled from one relationship crisis to the next.

Her writing style was easy to take on board and I was pleased that her memoir progressed steadily and did not jump backwards or forwards. She has lots of advice and social comment to pass onto the reader which added so much depth to her memoir. For example…

Whether it’s our father’s fault or someone else’s, we as women take it on ourselves to please a man and love him until we become lost inside his soul. It shouldn’t be that way, but it usually is.

...and…

He liked his women loud, tough, and a little on the trashy side. Bar brawling women who drank, smoked, and partied with the best of them. Rough talking whores who looked like they had been rode hard and put away wet.

...Her quick descriptions of her lovers were good too…

He was not an ideal candidate for a daughter to bring home to meet the parents. Ex-con, unemployed, drinking, tattooed rocker on a motorcycle.
...and…

Kurgan lay in my arms still asleep. That was it. I was cooked. The dog had my heart, my soul, and my love. For the next 15 years, I had his.

...I enjoyed reading Down Came November so much as it is such a frank and open memoir. And then I got to the end, when there is a big twist and I thought “Bugger, poor lass”. I consider Down Came November to be a good read and I will vote it 4 stars.

Down Came November is available as an Amazon Kindle eBook and was written in 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment