Wednesday 9 December 2015

Everything Comes in Time by N. Rae

This short story is a first person narrative about a teenage girl growing up and having crushes on boys. It is told with style and makes for very pleasant reading. N. Rae has a good choice of words that highlight the feelings and tensions of teenage life. For example…

The car starts and it swings up beside me and my friend’s sister’s boyfriend says, “Your ass is hanging out of those shorts”. He laughs. “Got a little dirt there and there”. My friend’s sister squints, eyes my ass, laughs louder. His mouth turns down like he’s got a bad taste of something. You know he’s going to jack off about it later. By the way my friend’s sister laughs, she knows it too.

… I found this short story a very good coffee time read. It hits the spot and brightened my day. I think it was written to showcase the author’s talent in the hope of writing longer material later. I hope that N. Rae does write some more, maybe a novella or even a novel. I really enjoyed reading this short story and the focus was right. The author has a talent for writing a bright and refreshing tale that I am unable to fault, so I will give this short story the top score of 5 stars. Well done for writing such a good script and having the confidence to publish.

Everything Comes in Time is available as an Amazon Kindle eBook and was written in 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment