Monday 11 April 2016

Behind the Blade by Jenny Marie Parks.

Behind the Blade is a short story about Kirstie, a 14 year old girl who self harms.

Okay, Kirstie did not get the best of starts in her life and was raped by her cousin. You should feel sympathy for the character and develop a strong empathy for her. However, the way this sorry tale of a short story has been written, I did NOT develop an empathy for Kirstie.

I found the format of this short story to be POOR. I thought it rambled on and on about her victim status for too long. The reasons for her self harming and the release it gave were not fully explored.

The whole viewpoint of this tale was from Kirstie’s angle and it felt quite claustrophobic. I got no pleasure from reading this sad and uninspiring tale. It did have a happy ending apart from the relief I had finished it and could move onto something better. This book FAILED for me and did not live up to it’s promise, so I will only vote it 2 stars. All short stories should be snappy and delight the reader but Behind the Blade fails to slash any interest from me.

Behind the Blade is available as an Amazon Kindle eBook and was written in 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment