Tuesday 5 April 2016

Shifting Skin (DI Jon Spicer #2) by Chris Simms.

Follow DI Jon Spicer in this crime thriller set around Manchester.

Although this is the second book in the DI Jon Spicer series, each novel can be read as a stand-alone. I have not read any of Chris’s books before and found Shifting Skin very easy to get into.

What I liked most about this novel, was it’s balance. There is a lovely mix of character development, workplace dynamics, crime scene and detection, current trends moving through society and a very good plot. It fitted in well with my work day life, going to work and reading some in my rest break followed by reading some more when I got home. It was like how people follow others on Facebook or Twitter - we get our newsfeed on what has happened next to DI Jon Spicer and his partner DI Rick Saville.

Chris tells his story very well and you feel as though you are working alongside Jon and Rick as they try to capture the Butcher of Belle Vue. You also feel as though you are best friends with Fiona Wilson and want to guide her away from danger. But this is not all crime scene investigation, it is about living life as an adult. Characters have friends and family that are important, Jon has a dog who he adores.

I got a lot of pleasure from reading Shifting Skin. There are no dull bits or padding in this book, it is all quality stuff. It got me guessing about what was going on, if the Police were getting it all wrong and would they catch the Butcher of Belle Vue.

Shifting Skin was a great book for me. I felt as though I was getting the whole picture which enabled me to feel I was living the book. There was even the mention of a National Express coach departing from Chorlton Street Station to make me feel at home! I was very comfortable reading this book and it gave me all I wanted for my daily reading fix. I had forgotten how much things had moved on since 2003 when this story was set. It was before smoking in enclosed public spaces was banned and Jon went proudly to the bar with only £5 in his pocket but came away with two drinks!

I was very impressed with the quality of Shifting Skin, so it gets the top score of 5 stars from me. I look forward to reading more from Chris Simms and joining DI Jon Spicer drinking plenty of beer in the pubs of Manchester.

Shifting Skin is available as an Amazon Kindle eBook and was written in 2006.

No comments:

Post a Comment