Saturday 3 December 2016

Defender by G X Todd.

Pilgrim meets Lacey in this post apocalyptic thriller where some people can hear a voice in their head.

This novel is a little odd as we all kind of talk to ourselves in our heads. So here we have two central characters, Pilgrim and Lacey plus a “contributor” called Voice. So the format of this novel can be rather frustrating.

I found Defender to be a SLOW novel with nothing much happening. It took ages to discover what had happened 7 years ago. Then Pilgrim and Lacey go on a journey with little planning and everything they encounter appears to be unknown. It was a case of the blind, leading the blind. This goes against the reader learning about a story as it unfolds.

As a reader I felt all at sea and lost, in a bad way, as this story bumbled along. I could not fathom what was going on and did not engage with Pilgrim or Lacey. I found the plot very lacking indeed. I thought the whole book was a dull and depressing read.

This novel was not an entertaining read for me. Nothing really sparked my interest. G X Todd went to great depths in describing the scenes but I found the detailed scene setting rather tiresome. The dialogue between characters was basic and the story lacked humour.

Defender was a big disappointment for me and when I got to the poor ending, I thought why did I bother? It is nice to be rewarded by reading a novel but Defender simply bored me. I did not enjoy reading this book, I think it is a POOR read and only gets 2 stars from me.


Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher Headline for giving me a copy of this book on the understanding that I provide an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment