Tuesday 27 December 2016

The Taken by Alice Clark-Platts.

Follow Detective Inspector Erica Martin as she investigates a murder in Durham of a celebrated preacher, Tristan Snow.


Although this is the second DI Erica Martin novel, it can be read as a stand-alone. There is an awful lot of content in this novel and gives the reader plenty to think about. It is not a regular police crime thriller but one that explores religion, loyalty and the whole meaning of family. I liked the plot and all the characters were likely suspects in the murder of Tristan Snow.


I liked the way the story developed including the journal written by Tristan's wife, Sera. This is not a forensic science heavy police thriller but one where the police have to listen very carefully to what people are saying. There is plenty of drama too with many shocks along the way. Each of these actions are later fully explained and everything has a knock on effect, including the pork chop!


The story was basically set in Durham, a county I lived in for the first 10 years of my life. It also features trips to nearby Peterlee and across the country to Blackpool. The local detail is very good and adds greater depth to this novel.


I found The Taken to be a GOOD read and I liked how you had suspicions about all the characters. It was great that after the murder other incidents took place, so it was not just a simple murder investigation. It was for me an engaging and entertaining read that gets 4 stars from me. I am now looking forward to hopefully the 3rd DI Erica Martin novel.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher Penguin UK for giving me a copy of this book on the understanding that I provide an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment