Wednesday 22 March 2017

The Chalk Pit by Elly Griffiths.

This is the ninth Dr. Ruth Galloway story and like all of Elly’s novels, can be read as a standalone. In The Chalk Pit the reader explores some underground tunnels in Norfolk, a couple of murders, some missing people and the plight of the homeless.

Ruth Galloway works closely with the Police in their investigations and also mixes with them socially. This is not a crime thriller in the usual sense, it is not a gritty novel with a heavy plot. What we have is a gorgeous character driven novel. Elly builds her characters up with style and you can identify with each and every one of them as though they were your workmates, friends and family. Through your reading sessions, you feel as though you are living your life alongside them. You get so strongly drawn into their lives and relationships that you wish them all well. Elly has this magic to draw her readers into the story. The fact there is a crime and criminal elements involved, just adds depth to her story. My wife loves watching a lot of television but I am not bothered. One of her favourite programmes is the popular hospital drama on BBC1 television called Holby City. But whenever it is on and I am reading my Kindle or using my Chromebook, the strong characterisation written into the script of Holby City just draws me in and I end up watching part of it! The Chalk Pit is told in a similar style to Holby City were the day job of the characters is not the main pull but the relationships between them are the focal points.

I really enjoyed reading The Chalk Pit and it gave me a lot of pleasure with a nice cosy feeling. It is a lovely soft read that does not have a WOW! factor or shocking bits but is very engaging and I liked how you got the whole picture with it’s comments on social trends. I look forward to the next Ruth Galloway story and vote The Chalk Pit 4 stars for being such a good read. Oh and I loved the use of urban legends that make you wonder where those homeless people you see in doorways etc sneak away to at night.
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher Quercus for giving me a copy of this book on the understanding that I provide an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment