Sunday 2 April 2017

Undertow (B.C. Blues Crime #2) by R.M. Greenaway.

Follow Constables Cal Dion and Dave Leith as they solve murders in North Vancouver, Canada. Although this novel is the second in the B.C. Blues Crime series, it can certainly be read as a stand-alone.

I really liked this book and found it a lovely mix of strong characterisation and a very involved plot. Both constables have their failings but are very good second division players. They both try their level best to bring justice to the victims. They are not glamourous all action heroes but ordinary hard working people. Rather than get a brilliant lead to their enquires, Undertow has the other side to police work, how can we make anything out of this mess? Greenaway really engaged me as a reader, as she strongly got across the feeling of being lost within a police investigation, with nothing adding up.

For readers like me who read books in 45 minute sessions, Undertow is just great because when you are away from the story, thoughts about the novel pop into your head, time and time again. What about this character or that character? Were those details relevant? I wonder if someone is behind all this? What the devil is going on?

I liked the chemistry between all the police officers, in and out of work. Greenaway used their different personalities so well, they drew me in and I thought I was part of the team! I found Undertow a very good read because there was so much to consider. It was not one of those books that you just rolled along with as it quietly entertains. Undertow got my cogs turning as my suspicions changed from one character to the next. I loved the way Greenaway pointed her guilty finger at everyone. I got a lot of pleasure from reading Undertow and can find nothing wrong with this novel. At the end of the story I thought WOW! And slowly from memory all the little bits added up together, all those little details were important and what a brilliant plot. I loved getting things wrong in my head along the way, Greenaway has a great skill of leading the reader up the garden path. Undertow is a very good read and it gets the top score of 5 stars from me.

I have read Greenaway’s first novel Cold Girl, which I also voted 5 stars. It is great to find that her writing quality has not slipped and I have now become a fan of her writing. Looking forward to her next novel and I don’t mind which location she uses as the joy is in the characterisation and the plot.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher Dundurn for giving me a copy of this book on the understanding that I provide an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment