Wednesday 3 May 2017

Little Girl Lost by Carol Wyer.

Follow DI Robyn Carter in this British crime thriller as she tries to get to the bottom of family secrets and a number of suspicious deaths.

I found this novel a frustrating read. It is not a regular crime thriller told only from the Police’s point of view but from all the characters involved. Family secrets are hinted at but you are kept in the dark for a very long time. All this hinting from the characters becomes very tedious. To add further frustration, the characters change their names and identity through this novel. There is a lot of misdirection throughout this story but this does not come across as clever, just annoying.

I did not find Little Girl Lost to be an enjoyable read but quite a drag. It did not give me a buzz and did not entertain or enlighten me. I did not develop an empathy for any of the characters. I thought the writing was soap opera quality and it started to grate on me very early on. One character’s chapters were always written in Italics which was both annoying and distracting plus the time frame jumped back and forth between present time normal text characters and the Italic text character explaining what they had done earlier. Sadly Little Girl Lost brings nothing new to the crowded crime thriller genre and this POOR read gets just 2 stars from me.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher Bookouture for giving me a copy of this book on the understanding that I provide an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment