Saturday 27 May 2017

The Only Child by Andrew Pyper.

Dr. Lily Dominick is a forensic psychiatrist and she has a new client number 46872 - A, a man with no name. Follow Lily as she goes on a journey to discover the identity of this strange man.

I was attracted to this book because it was recommended by two of my friends on Goodreads and because I liked the title as I have no brothers or sisters. I started reading this book with an open mind when suddenly I was informed of client’s 46872 - A, age - you’ve got to be kidding me I thought! But then this novel shifts back a long time and reveals the history of client 46872 - A. It was then that I discovered what a great author and storyteller Andrew Pyper truly is. This book is NOT of a genre of novel that I normally read but Andrew skillfully draws on the knowledge of the horror tales we all enjoyed in our childhood to add a legitimacy to his story. So I sat back and escaped into a make believe world of horror with a dramatic pursuit of the truth.

The quality of writing in this novel is top rate and I love the way Andrew makes the whole tale sound true. By weaving the guts of three horror stories we enjoyed from our childhood into his tale, you feel as though this story is steeped in history. The reading experience I got from this book was very high indeed. The characterization of both Lily and client 46872 - A was very deep and rewarding. The supporting characters were also sharply portrayed which simply adding to the tension running throughout the story.

I found The Only Child to be a great story and although not true to life, was very easy to engage with this make believe horror. It is a book that really entertains and would make a great film for all ages to enjoy. I agree with my friends on Goodreads that The Only Child is a 5 star read, so it gets 5 stars from me too! 


Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher Simon & Schuster for giving me a copy of this book on the understanding that I provide an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment