Thursday 18 October 2018

Malevolent (Cases of Lieutenant Kane #1) by E. H. Reinhard.

Follow Lieutenant Carl Kane of the Tampa homicide squad as he investigates an unusual killing.


Malevolent is a regular police procedural crime thriller and it breaks no new ground. Usual range of characters making up the ranks of the police force. Regular use of the killer’s actions and motives are told through alternate chapters.


So Malevolent is quite ordinary except the method of murder employed. I found Reinhard’s writing style quite tabloid. There was nothing sharp that made me think “this is good”. Yes, there is action but I thought “so what”. I did not engage with the detectives or the killer. I found it frustrating to read that the killer could have stopped their crimes and remained a free person. The story lacked realism and became a drag to read.


There was one creepy observation, that of a victim who survived but that in essence, was more like the plot of a B-movie.


There are odd bits of humour scattered through this novel, the best being from the killer when he asks “How is my wife? Was she still watching the television? That’s all that bitch ever did.”


I was disappointed with Malevolent, I thought it was a POOR read and only gets 2 stars from me.

Malevolent was written in 2014 and is available as an Amazon Kindle eBook.

No comments:

Post a Comment