Saturday 6 October 2018

Truth and Lies (DI Amy Winter #1) by Caroline Mitchell.

Follow DI Amy Winter in this psychological thriller set around London and neighbouring Essex. This novel is a mixture of Police procedures, cold case reviews, the quest for justice, kidnapping, murder, identity and psychopaths ALL within the murky borders of Truth and Lies.


I really enjoyed reading Truth and Lies. It is very different from your usual crime thriller because of it’s very strong psychological aspect. Having said that, it is also very different from most psychological thrillers too. Generally with psychological thrillers, the characters are having their minds disturbed as they try to cope with their situations. In Truth and Lies, the reader is having their mind disturbed as warning flags spring up ALL the time, forcing you to second guess what is going on. Caroline really engages the reader as her plot unfolds. I thought the plot was great and when I got to the end my head was buzzing - but in a good way, as I thought “if only”.


I liked the way Truth and Lies was told, with short chapters and from different points of view. Characterization was spot on with everyone involved. Many issues were explored to make Truth and Lies a FULL story, not just a plot driven thriller. I liked how recovered memories were used and how our brains can distort reality. I liked how the psychopath gave their insight to normalize their behaviour.


What was really OUTSTANDING was the exploration of the concept of Truth and Lies. We now live in a world of fake news and this novel highlights how murky the gap between Truth and Lies can become. People can accept things as fact and the psychological workings of our beliefs are complex.


Truth and Lies was a pleasure to read because of it’s complexity. I really engaged with the story and think it would make an ideal TV drama. Caroline is clearly at the top of her game and I can find nothing wrong with this book. Truth and Lies is yet another 5 star read from Caroline Mitchell.

Thanks to NetGalley, Thomas & Mercer and Amazon Publishing UK for giving me a copy of this book on the understanding that I provide an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment