Sunday 29 November 2020

Before I Go by Marie Reyes.

 Michael takes a trip to Mexico with one thing on his mind. Josie also takes a trip to Mexico with one thing on her mind. These two young people meet in a bar and they are not your usual tourist or traveller. Anyway they get talking and become involved in each other’s lives.


I found this thriller very different from the usual boy meets girl. Before I Go is very dark in places and is full of tension, all the way to the end. The character development is good and I loved how Marie got the atmosphere and impressions that visitors form when staying in Mexico. I liked how she explored the “ships that pass in the night” and “passing through” themes that holiday makers share with each other.


I found it very easy to engage with Michael and Josie as they moved around Mexico where everything was new and unexplored to them. The plot was fine and very different from run-of-the-mill thrillers. Where Before I Go really shines is the relationship that developed between Michael and Josie. This is not a tale of a glamorous romantic affair between head turning good looking people but a camaraderie often found between foreigners holidaying abroad, a shared experience.


Although Before I Go is basically a crime thriller, I prefer to consider it as a character driven novel. Michael and Josie both have a very strong purpose to be in Mexico. I was impressed with the quality of Marie’s storytelling and surprised to discover that Before I Go is her debut novel. Marie crafted a great suspense into her novel that lasted to the end. I think Before I Go is a GOOD 4 star read which demonstrates Marie has the talent to become a successful author.


Before I Go is available as an Amazon Kindle eBook and was written in 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment