Saturday 31 July 2021

Making Friends with Anxiety by Sarah Rayner.

This self help book informs the reader all about anxiety. I found this book a real eye-opener and I learned an awful lot about anxiety and the physiological response our bodies make. The understanding this book has given me enables me to deal with any anxiety I encounter and know the problems other people may suffer from.


Making Friends with Anxiety is an easy book to follow, read and understand. Sarah Rayner is a British author and her book is very, very down to earth. You don’t need to know anything about anxiety before starting this book. I found the text engaging, focused and extremely informative. I simply loved the psychology involved with how our minds work and how we deal with life.


Sarah explains that anxiety is a problem for everyone and her book can lessen the effects on you. However, anxiety is different for everyone and Sarah lists many of the symptoms. Sarah encourages readers to live in the moment, talks about mindfulness plus how and why household pets are happy and anxiety free. 


To give you the flavour of this wonderful book and the down to earth nature and quality of Sarah’s writing, below are some quotes to illustrate the focus and power of Making Friends with Anxiety...


“You can never be rid of anxiety completely as it’s a natural physiological response, but it’s impact can be reduced.”


“In other words, even relatively mild anxiety can make us alter our actions and restrict what we do.”


“We can influence our thoughts, and if we change the way we think, then our mood will lift and, eventually, anxiety will diminish too.”


“We can’t control much of what’s coming, and we certainly can’t change what’s been and gone. Put like this, it seems obvious that shifting our focus to the present will be good for our mental health.”



“let go of ruminating on the past and worrying about the future and focus on the here and now, anxiety lessens.”


...When I got to the end of this 132 page book, I understood fully why Sarah chose this title. Anxiety is a natural part of life and if you make friends with it, rather than fight anxiety, you will not struggle needlessly with a physiological response that we have all had since the stone age. I really enjoyed reading Making Friends with Anxiety, I found it very enlightening and I took a lot away from this book. I think it is a great book that explains what makes people tick and is an OUTSTANDING read that gets the top score of 5 stars from me. Sarah even mentions a value that I have held all my adult life...


“Alcohol should be a treat, not a treatment.”


This book was first written in 2014 but has been updated with a final chapter to cover the extra anxiety challenges that readers may face during the Coronavirus pandemic.


Making Friends with Anxiety was written first in 2014 and is available as an Amazon Kindle eBook.

No comments:

Post a Comment