Saturday 25 October 2014

Pagan Eyes: Revelation by Rayna Noire.

Nora is a rape victim and she is also a witch. This is an unusual novel set in the present day and it is cross-genre. It is a mixture of rape crisis, present day social commentary, religious intolerance, harrassment, romance and old fashioned magic.

Pagan Eyes is a good read that draws the reader into Nora's world. The characterization of Nora is full on and I quickly dropped my dislike for childish magical nonsense and developed an empathy for her. Because of the high quality of Rayna's writing, adults can ignore the fantasy/magical elements of this novel and simply enjoy those bits as a dream.

Pagan Eyes is an enjoyable every day read and I became grabbed into this other world lived by Nora. It has a quirky mix of present day urban reality and a supernatural world. I particularly enjoyed the chapters when Nora is working as a short order cook in a diner. The workplace dynamics seemed very real, so much so that I had a dream one night that I had given up my job as a coach driver for National Express and became a short order cook myself!

Special praise should given to how rape victims cope with their trauma and try to move on with their lives. Nora tries to make herself less attractive to men and develops various ways to keep out of men's way. Her tale is told in a matter of fact way and not like those sickly, sympathy seeking, hard luck stories told on television talent shows like the X Factor.

Pagan Eyes works on many levels to become a good read that I will happily vote 4 stars. This story has a happy ending and Nora finds her soul mate.

Pagan Eyes is available as an Amazon Kindle eBook and was written in 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment