Saturday 12 March 2016

Deviant by Callie Hart.

Sloane is looking for her sister Alexis and along the way encounters Zeth. Deviant is a hot romantic tale.

I was highly impressed with this novel. The writing quality is very high and the tension gives the reader a rush. I liked the way different chapters gave the view from Sloane or Zeth. Character development was wonderful and it was great that Sloane was introduced as…

No, when I say I’m a ghost, I’m referring to the fact that people rarely see me. I’m the girl in the background. The average height, average weight, average hair colour, non-event that eyes skip over instead of lingering on.

… So Sloane is a plain, ordinary girl next door rather than some irritating highly attractive bimbo that the reader would have difficulty relating to. What is easy to relate to is the passion and the tension of the situations Sloane is thrown into. There is some sex in this romantic novel and it is told with style in an adult way yet is still raw...

She watches me closely as I trail the sharpened steel over her body. Her breasts, her nipples, down her sides, over her thighs. She shaking so hard I have to be careful not to cut her.

...The story develops at a good pace and there is plenty of discreet humour, for example...

I snort as I imagine Zeth trying to pass himself off as my brother. “How did she know he was lying?” Mikey dithers, turning back down the corridor. He wants to get out of here bad. “Mostly because he was black and you aren’t.”

… I got a lot of pleasure from reading Deviant. It is not a trashy novel but a thought provoking adult read that has great depth and emotion. It has great maturity which shows great insight, for example...

I don’t know what I’ve agreed to, but I feel relieved. I’ve seen terminal patients go through this before. They fight and fight for so long, refusing valiantly to give up, and then, when they’re told it’s just no use and there’s nothing more to be done other than to let go… that’s when they find their peace. That is the sea of surrender I am floating in right now.

… So, there you have it, a book that really floated my boat. It was an intelligent read that created such strong images in my mind. Once imagined, you can’t forget as you move onto your next book. Deviant for me was a 5 star read that ticked all the boxes.

Deviant is available as an Amazon Kindle eBook and was written in 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment