Monday 2 July 2018

In The Dark (DI Adam Fawley #2) by Cara Hunter.

Okay, this is the second in the DI Adam Fawley series but it can be read as a standalone. You do not need to know what happened in the first book. This is a good move by Cara Hunter. Yes, the old characters from the first novel who work in or for Thames Valley Police are carried forward and as I had just finished Close to Home, this continuation simply added further pleasure to my enjoyment of this book.


In The Dark is a police procedural set around Oxford. A young woman and a small child are found trapped in the cellar of an old house. DI Adam Fawley and his team at Thames Valley Police are on the case to solve this mystery.


I really enjoyed reading In The Dark. I thought the plot was very good indeed. I liked the strong characterization of ALL the characters involved, whether they were members of the public or the Police. Like the first book, parts were of content from broadcasters and the public using social media. I loved that breaking-news-story feel of this novel. There was lots of finger pointing and many, many leads for the police to follow. The ending was really good and I loved it when the full story was told from the point of view of the young woman who had become trapped in the cellar and another central character.


I thought In The Dark was a big improvement on Close to Home, which I voted 4 stars. The time-line of In The Dark was linear and did not jump backwards and forwards like Close to Home. You did not know more than the Thames Valley Police as the story progressed. Although DI Adam Fawley’s son Jake was mentioned yet again, it was not a distraction this time!


In The Dark has jumped up a gear from Close to Home. Well done Cara, I can find nothing wrong with your novel, so In The Dark gets the top score of 5 stars from me.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher Viking Penguin UK for giving me a copy of this book on the understanding that I provide an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment