Thursday 25 April 2019

Frost and Ashes (Daniel Trokics Series Book 2) by Inger Wolf.

Follow Police Lieutenant Inspector Daniel Trokic and his team in Denmark for this crime thriller which starts off when an 8 year-old boy is found dead in a stream running through the village of MÃ¥rslet. He has been strangled with a fish line and has severe burn marks on his hands.


Although this novel is set in Denmark, the locations made no difference whatsoever to my enjoyment of this book. The culture did not even feel Danish and this novel could have been set in any country within the Western world.


Frost and Ashes is the second book in the series but can be read as a stand-alone. I am pleased that Detective Lisa Kornelius has her part to play again in this story.


I enjoyed reading this book and thought the plot was very good. The pace of this story was spot on and what came across most was just how very difficult it is for the police to solve a crime. The usual lines of enquiry were drawing blanks and the usual suspicions were not holding up. The mystery element Inger has woven into her story is very good.


I liked the Afterword that Inger included at the end of her story that explained her research and the inspiration for Frost and Ashes. It was then as I walked Charlie the Pug and reflected upon the book, that I thought how creepy yet excellently told the story was. My lasting impressions of Frost and Ashes were very strong and it made me wonder just how common the backgrounds explored in the story are in the Western World. Inger took a risk with the content of one paragraph on page 204 of her novel. Once you have read it, the scene will haunt you. I feel that Inger was right to include that paragraph as real life police officers have to deal with scenes of that type and deal with the emotional effect it will have on them.

I think Frost and Ashes is a GOOD read and am pleased that it is very different to the first novel, Dark September. Both books get 4 stars from me.

Frost and Ashes was written in 2018 and is available as an Amazon Kindle eBook.

No comments:

Post a Comment