Saturday 22 May 2021

Restless In The Grave (Kate Shugak #19) by Dana Stabenow.

Follow PI Kate Shugak as she solves the mystery of a fatal plane accident. Was it mechanical failure, pilot error or even a murder?


I enjoyed reading Restless In The Grave and liked how the atmosphere carried on from previous books in this series. I liked the lifestyle descriptions of Alaskan life and the many cultural references scattered throughout this story. For example…


no one in Bush Alaska ever threw anything away


...There were many local North American words for me to discover like “zaftig” - which added to the feeling of being a long way from the UK. Also there were lots of brand names that British readers will not have come across like Carhartt bibs, Xtra Tufs boots, Arctic Cat snowmobiles and a beer I have not tried before called Alaskan Amber. Sadly the lead character Kate Shugak is teetotal and another character offers her a soft drink but he is clearly not pushing the boat out…


He nodded, his back to her as he filled two glasses with ice and split a Diet Coke between them.


… what a cheapskate! That is one of my pet hates, sharing a 330ml can - get a life!


Mutt, the half husky, half wolf pet dog of Kate Shugak has her role to play in solving the mystery of the fatal crash. I loved the dynamics between Kate and her dog, this bond added a lot to the story and dog owners will feel very much at home.


I liked the pace of this story and with its strong character development I felt as though I was there in the middle of this mystery. All the extra details painted a powerful picture in my mind as though I was sitting back enjoying a film.


I liked how the plot unfolded and all the nagging doubts thrown at the reader from the first page. I think Restless In The Grave is another GOOD 4 star read and Dana shows what a consistent author she is with her Kate Shugak series.



Restless In The Grave was written in 2012 and is available as an Amazon Kindle eBook.

No comments:

Post a Comment