Sunday 2 May 2021

A Night Too Dark (Kate Shugak #17) by Dana Stabenow.

An abandoned car is found containing a suicide note. But where is the driver in this remote location of Alaska? Don’t worry because Private Investigator Kate Shugak is on the case and she will solve this mystery.


I was looking at the Amazon Kindle daily deal one day and saw this author’s books reduced to 99p. I have not come across Dana Stabenow before and as her books are in the crime/mystery/thriller genre, I thought I would try one of her novels. The Kate Shugak series runs to 21 novels, so which should I choose? Well I thought at 99p a go, lets have a Fiver’s worth of her most recent. This is why I chose book 17 as my Kate Shugak starting point.


A Night Too Dark can be read as a stand-alone and I believe that all her novels in this series are stand-alones. I did not think that anything was missing by jumping in at book 17. There is not tonnes of back story to study, just find the driver.


I enjoyed reading A Night Too Dark, it is lovely being able to travel in your mind to another country during the current coronavirus pandemic. I loved all the descriptions of remote areas in Alaska and the explanations of the culture with the diverse ethnic mix of the population. There were lots of local North American words and consumer brand names that I am not familiar with but British readers are still able to enjoy and understand this book. The local lingo and brands added to my feeling of being away - a cosy escape from Covid-19.


I liked the lead character Kate Shugak and her dog, a half husky, half wolf called Mutt. The plot of A Night Too Dark is complex and quite involved. I liked the way the story developed and how Kate’s private life was included. I liked how the reader was getting the bigger picture about everything that was going on at the same time and not just a simple, find the missing driver quest. Kate started digging and there was a lot more to this story than an abandoned car. I thought this novel had a good plot and I was pleased there was a little romance too.


I think A NIght Too Dark is a GOOD 4 star read and I will be more than happy to read some of the other books in this series.


A Night Too Dark was written in 2010 and is available as an Amazon Kindle eBook.

No comments:

Post a Comment