Sunday 25 April 2021

Imajica by Clive Barker.

Many readers consider Imajica an epic novel from a master storyteller. So after reading a friend’s 5 star review, I thought I would give this book a go.


Imajica is a fantasy novel of make believe worlds, containing magic and societies on planets away from earth. We are not talking about interplanetary travel but that earth exists in the Fifth dimension and the heroes can travel back and forth between the Fifth (ours), the fourth, the third and the second dimension. Part of this novel takes place on earth but some characters can travel to the other dimensions.


This is NOT a book in my normal reading genres but because of it’s reputation I thought I would read it with an open mind. Imajica is a VERY LONG book running to 896 pages. Normally I start a book and read it to the end but with Imajica I would read a chapter and put it down, turning to another book. I started reading Imajica last year and many, many other books inbetween. After 9 months I have finally finished reading Imajica. Looking back over the highlights I have made on my Kindle, I have found Imajica an exhausting read. The story covers a lot of ground in detail and I feel as though I have been on a very long journey. But at the end I do not feel it was a journey worth making.


Clive’s writing is articulate but I did not find his tale gripping. The lack of realism annoyed me and reading this book became a slog. The characters were richly described as legends with colourful histories. But everybody seemed to be wandering around in an endless quest which I found irritating. 


The plot was disappointing, lengthy and not obvious, making me wonder why any character was really bothered. I did not engage with Imajica and think it is a POOR 2 star read. Clive Barker has lots of fans but his novel left me cold and I do not think Imajica is a classic book. Imajica was written 30 years ago but I do not consider it to be a timeless classic. My curiosity has been solved but I shall not be reading another Clive Barker book.


Imajica was written in 1991 and is available as an Amazon Kindle eBook.

No comments:

Post a Comment