Wednesday 13 November 2019

The Shape of Water (Commissario Montalbano #1) by Andrea Camilleri.

I have not read any books written by the Italian author Andrea Camilleri, so I thought I would start with his first novel in the Commissario Montalbano series. Andrea Camilleri was born on the 6th September 1925 but will be unable to write any more books as he sadly died on the 17th July 2019.
I enjoyed reading The Shape of Water with all it’s colourful descriptions of life in Sicily. I have never been to Italy and found this mystery accessible for British readers as the local cultures were gently explained. I found this mystery well paced and the jolly dialogue made for a warm and cosy read. The style of this novel is very similar to the popular BBC television series Death in Paradise.


I liked the development of the central character in this series and how Inspector Montalbano is an old school cop who has no problem with bending the rules in his investigations.


I thought the story was lively, with the details bright, sexy and vibrant. This was NOT a dull mystery surrounding the death of a prominent man in his car but a shining tale of things are not always what they appear at first glance. I found The Shape of Water to be a GOOD 4 star read and look forward to reading some more in the Inspector Montalbano series.

The Shape of Water was written in 1994 and is available as an Amazon Kindle eBook.

No comments:

Post a Comment