Tuesday 26 November 2019

The Snack Thief (Commissario Montalbano #3) by Andrea Camilleri.

In the third Inspector Montalbano novel, one victim was found stabbed in a lift and another is shot on a fishing boat. Follow Inspector Montalbano as he solves the mysteries surrounding these deaths. Like the other novels in this series, The Snack Thief can be read as a standalone.

This is the third Inspector Montalbano book I have read on-the-trot. I am enjoying this series and love the consistency of Andrea’s writing. Salvo Montalbano now seems like an old friend to me and the books have developed a cosy feeling as I follow him through his work and private life. The crimes he investigates are very different in each book and I love how Andrea uses the returning cast of characters to develop the brand. This long running theme among the regulars is engaging and makes the reader feel as though they belong within the community. Having these regulars adds so much value to the novels and I can imagine Andrea having these imaginary little people playing on his mind when he was not writing his books. I found his use of returning characters very similar to that of Elly Griffiths in her Dr. Ruth Galloway series.

Like the other books in the Inspector Montalbano series, I just loved Andrea’s play on language. Subtle fun is made of characters who speak Italian as a second language. I must thank the translator of this series, as I am reading the English version, yet the humour aimed at migrants shines brightly through. The banter between all the characters is entertaining, sharp and witty, with never a boring conversation.

I have enjoyed reading this trio of books in the series. I like that the quality of each one is the same and I consider The Snack Thief is a GOOD 4 star read. My lasting impression on reading these books is that if I were to read another in the series, I know exactly what to expect. Strangely enough, I also feel the same about Elly Griffiths books too.


The Snack Thief was written in 1996 and is available as an Amazon Kindle eBook.

No comments:

Post a Comment