Tuesday 19 November 2019

The Terra-Cotta Dog (Commissario Montalbano #2) by Andrea Camilleri.

This is the second book in the Inspector Montalbano series but it can be read as a standalone. This time there is a robbery and elsewhere a murder scene. Follow Inspector Montalbano as he solves these two mysteries on his home turf of Sicily.


I liked how many of the characters carried on from the first novel. I liked the tone and author’s voice that sounded loudly from the pages. I got the feeling that Inspector Montalbano plus his workmates and friends became family to me. Having read the first novel, I found the characters very easy to engage with. Because of Andrea’s writing style I found it extremely easy to engage with the new characters, whether they were the good or the bad guys. Andrea has a great skill at smoothly developing realistic characters.


The two mysteries were a great puzzle for the reader to grapple with. Neither mystery made any sense but because of the people Inspector Montalbano interviewed, he was able to get to the bottom of both mysteries. This was great because nothing made sense, the proceeds of a robbery were abandoned and the murder scene formed a triangle around the victims bordered by a bowl, a jug and a Terra-Cotta dog. I loved how folklore and religion were used to explain the significance of the murder scene. This added great depth to this story.


I found The Terra-Cotta Dog to be a jolly read with great banter and wit between the characters. The dialogue had great humour and constantly made me smile. The undertones of each character were subtly played and Inspector Montalbano is quite a randy old devil on the quiet.


There was an extensive vocabulary used throughout this novel and I loved how Andrea would explain and play on how his characters spoke depending on whether they came from the north, the south or a foreign country.


There was a good mixture of people in this mystery making this a bright story. I thought the novel progressed at a good pace with lots going on. On the one side Inspector Montalbano is a lovable cop and on the other the Mafioso are making things awkward. Then there are the many people caught between, making the violent and murderous scenes all part of a cosy mystery.


I thought The Terra-Cotta Dog was a GOOD 4 star read and I am very comfortable with this series.

The Terra-Cotta Dog was written in 1996 and is available as an Amazon Kindle eBook.

No comments:

Post a Comment