Thursday 17 December 2020

2,024 QI Facts To Stop You In Your Tracks by John Lloyd.

This is number seven, the largest and last in the QI Facts Series of books. It follows a popular British television programme called QI.


I am not a fan of the television programme but picked up a copy of this book because it was featured on the Kindle Daily Deal for just 99p. I hoped it would be an interesting read and that I would discover some unusual facts.


I quite liked the format of this book. The 2,024 facts are just a sentence long. If you want background information to a specific fact, then go to the website, put in the page number and a source page will appear. This means the reader can cover all the facts and not be bored with detail they have little or no interest in. I think this was the right publishing decision, otherwise many readers would not finish this book.


I found most of the facts interesting but a lot of them were obvious if you gave the issue a fair amount of thought. Some of the facts were simple trivia and others made me feel “so what?”. 


I did not find this book engrossing. Reading these one sentence facts is fine for a handful of pages but I could not engage with this book like I do with crime/mystery/thriller novels. My reading experience was like watching the adverts broadcast on commercial television. When I finished a regular novel, I would read a small number of pages from this book before progressing onto my next novel.


I consider 2,024 QI Facts to be a coffee-table book. It is an OKAY 3 star read that is fine to pick up for around 15 minutes once a week. I feel it is a book to browse rather than read. It will give you the same pleasure of resolving your curiosity as wading through the Argos catalogue. I am glad I got a copy of this book for just 99p but if I had paid the usual price of £4.68p then I would be very disappointed.


Of the 2,024 one sentence facts, here are the 3 facts I found the most interesting and unusual…


Scurryfunge is to tidy up quickly before visitors arrive.


The hands of a human foetus touching the walls of the womb causes the fingerprints to form.


A pluviophile is someone who loves rainy days.


2,024 QI Facts is available as an Amazon Kindle eBook and was written in 2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment