Saturday 19 December 2020

Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake #2) by Rachel Caine.

 Gwen Proctor has to deal with another message from her ex-husband, serial killer Melvin Royal. Follow Gwen as she struggles against her ex-husband and a network called Absalom.


I enjoyed this second book in the Stillhouse Lake series. I loved the linear time frame and that Rachel does not repeat things from book one in the series. The format is different to the first book which is a first person narrative wholly from Gwen’s point of view. Killman Lake has separate chapters in the first person of Gwen, her friend Sam and her children Connor and Lanny. This four spoke format adds to the novel because quite often the reader knows far more than the other three central characters.


I think Killman Creek has a good plot and the workings of the dark web cast further doubts on what exactly is going on. Lots of warning flags are thrown up and it is great fun taking these details onboard as you question how this story is going.


There was plenty of detail to keep me happy and I loved the challenges Gwen took to keep off the grid. It made me chuckle just how many burner phones Gwen has got through in these two books. It also made me smile when in these modern times, Gwen felt naked without a mobile phone and using a printed map was something special. I was amazed at one of the locations used when Rachel writes …


“GPS coordinates,” she tells me. “It maps to a cabin in Bumfuck, Georgia. But you be careful, Gwen.”


I found Killman Creek to be an engaging, entertaining GOOD 4 star read. The pace was good and the story had a nice flow. I did not find any slow or boring parts. There was no padding in this novel so there is no chance of the reader wondering whether to buy book three or not. Count me in for the next book in the Stillhouse Lake series.


Killman Creek was written in 2017 and is available as an Amazon Kindle eBook.

No comments:

Post a Comment